Principal Electrical Engineer
Associated Power Analysts, Inc.
Dr. Chanan Singh
Principal Electrical Engineer, Reliability Studies
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
- MS, Electrical Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
- B.S. (Honors), Electrical Engineering, Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh, India.
- Vice President, Associated Power Analysts, Inc., 1980-Present.
- Senior Research Officer, Research & Development Division, Ontario Ministry of Transportation and Communication, Canada, July 1973- September 1978
- See the corporations consulted for under consultant.
- Regents Professor, Irma Runyon chair professor, 2007- present
- Regents Professor, J.W. Runyon Professor September 2005-2006
- Professor & Head, Electrical & Computer Engineering, May 1997- August 2005
- Professor & Director, Electric Power Institute, 1992-1997.
- Professor & Associate Head, Electrical Engineering, Texas A& M University, College Station, Texas, 1986-1992.
- Professor, Electrical Engineering, Texas A& M University, College Station, TX, September 1984 – 1986
- Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering, Texas A& M University, College Station, TX, September 1981 – September 1984
- Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, September 1978 – August 1981
- Director, Power Systems Program at the National Science Foundation, 1995-1996.
- California ISO
- Central Electrical Agency, India
- Edmonton Power, Canada
- Electric Reliability Council of Texas
- Electric Power Research Institute
- Eletrobrass, Brazil
- ESKOM, South Africa
- General Electric Co.
- Houston Lighting & Power Co.
- Korea Electric Power Co.
- Korea Power Exchange
- Korea Power Systems Reliability Research Center
- Manitoba Hydro, Canada
- MCI Communications
- Mid Continent Area Power Pool
- Ministry of Transportation & Communications, Ontario, Canada
- Power Comp Associates Ltd, Saskatoon, Canada
- Sandia National Labs
- Saskatchewan Power Corporation, Regina, Canada
- SOHIO, ARCO & EXXON
- Stone and Webster
- Taiwan Power Corporation
- Texas Utilities
- Urban Transportation Development Corporation, Ltd., Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Texas
Honors & Awards:
- Inaugural recipient of IEEE-PES Roy Billinton Power System Reliability Award, for “Contributions to the methodological developments, education and practice of power system reliability evaluation”, 2010
- Guest Professor, Tsinghua University, Department of Electrical Engineering (State Key laboratory of the Control and Simulation of Power System and Generation Equipments),April, 2010
- PMAPS Merit Award 2008 – Life long achievement award by the Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems International Society (PMAPS), “for developing probabilistic methods for power systems”.
- IEEE Power Engineering Society, “Electric Delivery System Reliability Tutorial Award”, 2007.
- IEEE Power Engineering Society, “Outstanding Power Engineering Educator Award”, 1998 for “Innovative Leadership in Power Engineering Education”.
- Doctor of Science (peer evaluated) “For research contributions”, by the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, May 1997
- IEEE/PES Outstanding Working Group Award – 1997
- IEEE/PES Technical Committee Prize Paper Award for “Pooling Generating Unit Data for Improved Estimates of Performance Indices,” 1997
- Elected Fellow of IEEE for “Contributions to Theory and Applications of Quantitative Reliability Methods in Electric Power Systems’’, 1991
- Ross Medal of the Engineering Institute of Canada for the best Electrical Engineering paper for 1972, “The Frequency and Duration Method of Generating Capacity Reliability Evaluation”, Transactions of EIC, Vol. 15, No. C-1, March 1972.
Texas A&M Awards
- Distinguished Electrical Engineering Professor, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Student Chapter, 2004. This was a special award by the student chapter given for the first time.
- Appointed to J.W. Runyon, jr. ’35 Professorship II
- Named Texas A&M System Regents Professor, Texas A&M System, December 2001.
- Awarded the Texas A&M Former Student’s Association, University Level Distinguished Award in Research (Highest university award in research), TAMU, 1997.
- Dresser Professorship, for excellence in research and education 1992-1993.
- Halliburton Professorship for excellence in research and education, 1986–1987.
- Senior TEES Fellow, for excellence in research 1989-present.
- TEES Fellow, for excellence in research 1987-89.
Three books and over 300 technical publications.